In a nutshell
In order to access online resources (=articles, ebooks, databases) made available by the Library from outside CERN:
- URLs must be prefixed by: https://ezproxy.cern.ch/login?url=
- When you access the resources via the EzProxy, you need to login with you CERN Credentials.
From the CERN Document Server
URLs of resources listed on the CERN Document Server or on the Library web site have been modified to make sure they are correctly formatted with the EzProxy prefix. Therefore, there is no need to change anything.
From any other website
If you access the online resources directly from a Google search or any other web site, you must add the prefix: https://ezproxy.cern.ch/login?url= to the url of the resource.
As an example, to access this article:
You need to modify the url as follows:
- Drag this link to your Bookmark toolbar:
CERN Library Proxy
Manually create a new bookmark:
- with the name: CERN Library proxy
- Go to the article or the ebook you need to access from any Google search or any other web site
- Click on the “CERN Library proxy” bookmark you created
- You will be prompted to enter your CERN credentials. This will reload the page, and you will be able to access the resource
If you use the Zotero extension on Firefox, there’s no configuration to do. The first time you type in the ezproxy version of the URL, Zotero will remember to use it each time you visit the website. You will need to type it in for each new resource you access, though.
Those extensions enable you to convert any resource link to the Ezproxy url:
Important additional information
- This service works for CERN Computer account only.
- The access will only work if the CERN Library has a subscription to the resource. Please check the availability on the CERN document server or on the Library resources webpage
- Please note that URLs prefixed with EzProxy work whether you are located at CERN or outside CERN.
- No authentification is needed for Open Access resources
- There is a small list of publishers for which the EzProxy doesn't work. Please consult this page to know more
- The old Proxy system will remain active for the time being, but please note that it doesn't work anymore for many resources. This service is not maintained anymore.
Extended access (for some publishers)
- Some publishers offer extended access to their content: the user experiences continued access for up to 48 hours after leaving the institution's IP address range(s) as long as:
- The user works from the same device and browser
- Cookies are enabled
- In this context, there is no need of using EzProxy
- For the time being, only Elsevier (ScienceDirect) offers this possibility.
In case of any problem or to provide feedback, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org