In 2009 the CERN management changed and adopted a new organizational structure. General Infrastructure Services Department (GS) was created reporting to the Director for Administration and General Infrastructure.
The GS Department was developed to provide and support the infrastructure and services needed to ensure the preservation of the health and the safety of any person entering the domains under the Organization's control. The GS Department provided and maintened the buildings and underground civil engineering works on the Organization's sites as well as the necessary logistic services. Also the Department provided and supported the technical and administrative information systems of the laboratory.
The GS Groups were:
- Access, Safety and Engineering Tool, ASE (from Technical Support Department, TS)
- Administrative Information Services, AIS (from Information Technology Department, IT)
- Site Engineering and Management, SEM (from Finance Department, FI). SEM divided into Site Engineering, SE and Integrated Services, IS in 2010
- Medical Service, ME (from Safety Commission, SC)
- Fire brigade, FB (from Safety Commission, SC)
- Scientific Information, SIS (from Directorate Services Units, DSU)
- Service Management and Support, SMS
- Head of Department's Office, DI
- Integrated Service, IS (created in 2010)